High School Senior Portraits
Seniors are so much fun, I love working with them and love to discover what each of them loves to do.
Creating images to share their passion is very special and great fun.
Two weeks ago I worked with a senior girl who is not only beautiful on the outside but has a great spirit and was looking to do something different with her senior pictures. She is enrolled in the culinary program at one of the local high schools, loves her dog and baking. She is looking to go forward with her culinary passion and decided that that passion needed to be captured in her pictures.
I roll with what my clients want, and the prospect of having fun with baking items, tools of the trade and some flour, invited some great ideas. Haylee was open to playing and trying something that was a bit outside of the box.
We started the day with images of her and her puppy, moved on to the yearbook pose and finally arrived at the culinary aspect. We started with some poses and then decided to get messy. Throwing flour into the air in front of a black backdrop with high speed lighting was fun, took a bit of tweaking and produced some great images.
The first time I asked her to throw up flour, Haylee grabbed a handful and I thought, after looking at the back of the camera, that we had overdone it, quite sure that I would toss that first try. We proceeded to tone it down and arrived where I thought we should be.
While editing, I discovered that the first try created one or two that were very fun and would stay as one of her choices. She loves it! It is shown below.
One of the images with less flour tossed into the air also remained as a favorite and both really show her love of baking. She is happy, is having fun and in her element.
After cleaning up we headed out to get some more formal images in her prom dress, which also rendered some great photos as you can tell in the sample below.
Here at Wertman Photography we capture what our client wants, we go all out if needed and have a wonderful time doing so. I invite you to vote for your favorite of the two flour pictures, and for doing so you will be entered in a drawing for a free one hour session for up to 5 people, a $150 value.
Please browse our galleries and if you are not a client yet, give us a call today to schedule your session.
Just recently I had the privilege to photograph a college RN Graduate from Hagerstown Community College. When we discussed what he wanted to get out of his session, he told me that he did not get senior pictures in High School and would love to capture similar photos now. I immediately thought of how much fun it would be if we could gain access to the nursing program classrooms and create some fun images there. I made the suggestion and Joshua liked the idea as he is passionate about his chosen field of study.
After a bit of a scheduling struggle we were allowed into the unit and were able to play with the life-size robots and reenact some things an RN does on a regular basis.
We had a beautiful day the day of the session, and were also able to capture some shots around campus in some favorite spots.
Usually when my clients think of senior pictures, they think of the high school variety, but either repeating the experience at the end of college or creating it for the first time is a valid and fun option. Being allowed into the nursing unit at HCC offered some great opportunities to not only see the state of the art facility that has recently won some awards, but also get a glimpse at the rigorous program aspiring nurses such as Joshua undergo.
I was able to capture Joshua’s personality in a setting he loves which led to some wonderful shots outdoors in his suit as well. Please look over some of my favorites from that session and remember that Wertman Photography will go anywhere you want us to shoot. Different locations are fun and intriguing and one of our favorite things to explore.
Please explore our entire website for other fun locations we have taken our clients to for ideas and inspiration. They can be found in any of the galleries or other blog posts.
With spring and summer just around the corner, senior pictures are not far behind. No matter who you choose, what size session you commit to, whether you are a boy or a girl, if you play a sport you will want to showcase your sport.
Now we all know that you do not want another picture in your gear that looks like last year’s school picture, right? How do you avoid it, you ask? Here are a few tips on what you should do to insure that you will get some one of a kind images from your high school senior picture session:
- Spend a couple of months researching the kind of imagery you would like to see. Look through sports magazines and browse the web for ideas and styles. Do you like the edgy, grungy look? Do you want to look like the latest gold medal winner in one of her endorsement commercials, Or do you want to look like the girl or boy next door, clean and pristine in your gear?
- Once you have determined what look you want, search your local photographers and see if they have something similar in their portfolios.
- If you find someone whose style is close, but not quite what you envision, call and talk to them, find out if they are willing to bend their style a bit or if they can recommend someone who fits your vision better.
- Once you have found the photographer who seems to have the style you are looking for, set up a consultation to talk about how they work and determine if you click with that photographer. Most photographers will be willing to sit down with you and plan your session, if they are not, look for one who does.
- When you meet your chosen photographer for the first time during the consultation, bring your sample images with you, show them and ask if something like it can be done. If you are a football player, chances are you have access to your school’s field, if you are a swimmer, access to a pool may be more difficult. Your photographer needs to understand exactly what you would like to accomplish in order to give you a correct answer.
- Understand that special requests require prior planning and that you are asking your photographer for individualized services. She will invest time in your session and you and your family will invest money in return. This tradeoff will ensure a fantastic session for you and great images for your family and you to share and display.
- Ask about cost only after you have determined whether the photographer you are talking to is the right fit for you. But do ask, you will want to know how much your family will need to invest in the service and what you will receive in return. Ask about products that are offered and be aware that a boutique studio and a boutique service such as you are looking for will offer some great print collections for you to choose from.
- Finally, after you book your session and have paid the retainer fee, enter the date in your calendar and arrive 5-10 minutes early at the predetermined meeting point. Your photographer will be there waiting for you and when you are on time all will go smoothly and you will have wonderful experience which will in turn result in great photos to choose form.
Here are a couple of our favorite sports related senior photography portraits. Please visit our portfolio to view more.
It is here! We are so excited to share our new website with you. Wertman Photography has been in business for over 5 years and many exciting things are happening in 2015.
We are growing in many ways including our space at the studio, which doubled in February of this year. We now have three distinct shooting spaces available and a private dressing room to make glamor and boudoir sessions even more fun and private than they were before.
We learned that we would be able to expand our physical space at the end of the summer of 2014 and decided that other changes were also necessary. Our website needed some serious TLC and after seeing work our web designer had done for other photographers, we decided that Visual Lure would be a great fit for us. Justen designed a site that is not only gorgeous but really took our vision and our love for art deco to the next level. If you have not done so yet, please browse the entire site and enjoy not only the richness of the design and the ease of the functionality, but also our portfolios to understand who we are as a photographic studio.
When we opened our doors in 2009 we knew that we would give our clients a great experience during any session and that we would produce imagery that our clients would be proud to hang on their walls. Today, five and a half years into the photography business, we continue to provide you, our clients with a great experience and great images, and we offer products you may have never thought about. We continue to innovate and add more products and specialized services to our studio. You are treated with special care and every session you book with us is tailored to your needs.
This year we have revamped our High School Senior sessions to include up to three locations and clothing changes and hair and make-up for the girls. The offered collections can accommodate any budget and print collections include many exciting products.
Our Glamor and Boudoir sessions are also redesigned to include some great products when purchased as a collection and can also be booked as stand alones you can add to, including make-up and hair.
We love weddings and engagements, as you can see in our wedding portfolio and offer all-inclusive collections with plenty of time and great options built right in.
As our new site highlights, here at Wertman Photography we love timeless design and elegance with a modern twist our clients desire. Please read more on the about us page where you can find some client review and testimonials.
We want to thank Justen at Visual Lure for creating a great new website for us and hope that all of you enjoy it as much as we do.